Bodicote Windmill is thought to have been built in 1842 by Henry Warriner who was a director of the London engineering firm of Maudsley Son and Field. Warriner lived in Bloxham Grove Farm and during his occupancy; he also installed a steam engine which drove a pair of millstones and other barn machinery, including a horse-walk (for a horse driven pump). There also used to be a brewery.
Although most of the above has now disappeared, the Windmill has been restored to its former glory and is now looked after by “Friends of Bodicote Windmill”. A survey of the Mill was carried out way back in 1961 when it had long since been abandoned as a working mill and had been subject to some level of vandalism. However, it was still in its original complete form and it was determined that restoration would be easily achievable and due the size of the mill and the materials required, it would relatively cheap.
The mill was white weather boarded in 1961 and when the mill had to be turned into the wind, the access ladder was lifted off the ground and used as a means of turning the body. Unlike the conventional post mill there was no tail pole, the wall at the head of the ladder is in fact a pair of doors as when the mill was at work, the miller would have to stand inside this space and only with the doors held open would he have had room to turn.
There are four common sails which are carried on stocks, each 8ft 3in long. Originally, the sail cloths were 8ft 6in long by 2ft 3in wide and made out of an old rick canvas. They were fastened by means of cords and eyelets to a “curtain rail” at the foot of the sail and by rope loops to cleats on the whips.
For further details contact Steve Cracco by email or Tel. 07747711197